Tuesday, October 23, 2012

FEATURED: Jessica Huang ♡

Jess is a fourteen year old butt-kicking artist from South Africa. Most of her sketches are of LookBook members, and they all give off a very realistic cartoon vibe (if there's even such a thing). I discovered her a few months back through Zoe Suen and I've been stalking her blog for art inspo ever since.

Her blog is fairly new though, so there aren't a lot of posts yet, but I can promise you one thing - it's definitely quality over quantity. We were lucky enough to have been able to interview her! Jess' answers are as quirky as her illustrations. See for yourself!

1. Tell us about yourself and what it is that you do.
I am a freelance illustrator, still a high school student, I'm 14 years old, 15 in less than a month! I live in South Africa, I have monkey servants that bring me fresh tea and I ride a lion to school.

2. Who/what is/are your inspiration/s?
I find inspiration all around, especially in music, lookbook.nu, tumblr, friends, my brother and the list goes on! But right now, my muse would be Frida Kahlo!

3. What would you like to be when you're slightly older? Does it have something to do with art?
At the moment I would like to be a designer of some sort (preferably fashion or architecture) a musician, a journalist or even a photographer or filmographer, anything art/cultural really!

4. When did you realize you had passion for art and wanted to pursue it?
I started drawing when I was very young and I had the feeling, this is what I will never get bored of doing and I noticed that drawing is my "happy place" I feel so calm and like the world is a better place whenever I put my earphones in and take my sketchbook out (sounds cheesy, I know, but there's no other way to describe it)

5. Do you prefer digital or traditional art?
Now this, is a tough question! I enjoy drawing with pen and pencil because I like how authentic and "controllable" it is but I LOVE drawing digitally, I think it's more convenient and there are some things that can only be achieved digitally...and you don't waste resources! Eco friendly yo!

6. What are your other hobbies aside from art?
I'm glad you asked this! I LOVE playing the piano I love it just as much as illustrating (sometimes more!) I do photography and I obviously love fashion and dressing up.

7. Which of your many brilliant artworks is your favorite?
The first ever fashion illustration I ever did (the one of Zoe Suen) will forever be my favorite illustration but my current favorite would probably be my most recent one of Kani Cao.

8. Any tips/advice for young artists like you? 
The more bad drawings you do the better you get! Always keep that in mind! Always draw while listening to music and draw whatever you want! :)
If you liked Jessica, please support her by following her blog, fanning her on lookbook, following her tumblr, and following her on twitter! She accepts commissions for about $20 per drawing. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! This blog is so awesome. I nominated your blog for the Liebster award. There's a post on my blog about it so that you can participate if you'd like to. :D :D

    http://sewoverdressed.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...