Overexposed by Maroon 5 has been "overplayed" in my house ever since I could get my hands on it. I've always been an avid fan of Maroon 5 since Songs About Jane first came out, and She Will Be Loved is still (in my opinion) a household anthem up to this day.
I love this band not only because of their frontman - ultimate eye-candy and fit rocker Adam Levine, but because this band never fails to deliver music that speaks to your soul. Although the band decided to wander down a different route this time around - with the playful pop-centric genre blasting in your ear - they still managed to put out a solid album that deserves to be listened to.
Admittedly, not all of the songs made it to my favorites list, but here are the songs I feel are at the top of their game:
One More Night
- The album started with this catchy song, and pretty soon it wouldn't leave my head! All of the "oohs" at the start already had me going.
- FAVORITE LINE: Baby there you go again, there you go again, making me love you
- BONUS FEATURE: The video is incredibly captivating, with Adam Levine portraying a hot father who plays boxing. His skills may not be up to par, but can you resist his charm?
Payphone (featuring Wiz Khalifa)
- This song may be way too mainstream by now, as it is being played in the radio over and over again. Being the band's lead single, this song is catchy, filled with heartbroken lyrics to echo everyone's pain. Wiz Khalifa raps up the bridge, bringing a whole pop twist to the usual gritty edge of the band. Still a good song for me!
- BONUS FEATURE: The music video has car chases, explosions, a beautiful blonde and a handsome man, complete with pyrotechnics at the background. The story's bland, but then again, it's the song that counts.
- FAVORITE LINE: Even the sun sets in paradise
- One of my favorites, and the chorus is just breathtaking. The drums bring out a some sort of Ryan Tedder feel, and the "oohs" in the chorus mimic the great Chris Martin, someone I absolutely love. This is a sweet, mid-tempo track that keeps me longing for more.
- FAVORITE LINE: The sky is getting back, the stars are burning out, somebody slow it down
The Man Who Never Lied
- Adam portrays himself as "the good guy" in the song, stating that, to put it bluntly, he was the man who never lied. The energy in this song is undeniable, with a memorable hook to have it stuck in my head. This track is one of the most memorable for me, since I usually go after the catchiest ones, and this goes to the top in my book.
- FAVORITE LINE: I just couldn't break your heart like you did mine yesterday
- This track screams POP all over, and is probably Maroon 5's most pop influenced song today. It's a song that would most likely be heard in clubs all around the world, giving you the feeling of just dancing your emotions away. It starts off slow, building up to an anthemic chorus. Although Maroon 5 is known for it's rough edge, this pop song is still a great one.
- FAVORITE LINE: But if I fall for you, I'll never recover/ If I fall for you, I'll never be the same and I know we're only halfway there but you'll take me all the way, you'll take me all the way
- As stated in the title, this song defines the word "sad". It's simple, with just the piano keys accompanying the song, as well as sincere. Even though this ballad doesn't surpass the ultimate success of Sunday Morning or Just A Feeling, this is still a note-worthy track with lyrics that showcases the band's vulnerability.
- FAVORITE LINE: Oh but I'm scared to death that there may not be another one like this/And I confess that I'm only holding on by a thin, thin thread
- Easily one of my favorites on the album. Such a feel good song, with the guitar strings giving it such a happy mood. The chorus gets me singing the song over, and over, and over again. The bittersweet message and the happy-go-lucky melody could have been on any previous record they let out, and it proves to be a classic one by now.
- FAVORITE LINE: And I remember your eyes were so bright/When I first met you, so in love that night
Wipe Your Eyes
- A track on the deluxe edition, I believe this song should've been part of the original album tracklist. The eerie melody at the start got me confused, but as it kept going on, it harmoniously brings the song together. It's a wonderful addition to the song, and the lyrics are just perfect. The heavy chorus does it for me, as I feel like Adam's pouring his heart and soul onto the song, which is what a true musician should convey.
- FAVORITE LINE: Tonight before you fall asleep, I'll run my thumb across your cheek/Cry 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes
It's a complete shame that I won't be able to see this legendary band live here in Manila, but to all those who are going, have fun and send my love!
Support Maroon 5 and buy OVEREXPOSED on iTunes!